Page 1 of 1

Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:37 pm
by dmacioce
I have been using primarily Mac poker clients (yeah, not too many of those), and for that reason I have installed PT4 Mac version. However, I recently started using Parallels to play with some Windows-only clients, and I have noticed that my Mac version of PT4 displays the HUD on the Windows version of ACR if I run it under Parallels in Coherence mode.* I was pleasantly surprised by this, but I don't know if this would work for other Windows clients or not. It will be great if it does.

The problem that I run into, however, is that in configuring the poker client in PT4-Mac, the windows directories are not available if I don't have Parallels running, and this seems to cause some errors when I just use the Mac clients. Is there a way to set it up so that I can use PT4 on native Mac poker clients as well as Windows clients running in Parallels?

Alternatively, will PT4 (windows version) run OK under Parallels? If so, is there a way to configure it to connect to the same database that PT4-Mac uses?

Thanks.

* I discovered this as a result of becoming extremely frustrated (again) with the ACR Mac client, which keeps failing me for some reason.

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 am
by Flag_Hippo
dmacioce wrote:Alternatively, will PT4 (windows version) run OK under Parallels? If so, is there a way to configure it to connect to the same database that PT4-Mac uses?

You can have the Windows version of PokerTracker 4 use the PostgreSQL on the Mac so that everything goes into the same database no matter what version you are using - see this guide for details. It's also better when using Windows since it won't need to use computer memory or virtual machine hard disc space for its own PostgreSQL.

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm
by dmacioce
Thanks! This is awesome. I was able to get everything set up. The guide was helpful, but for future reference, I thought I would provide the following info in case anyone else tries to do this: Parallels uses the 10.211.55.x network, and so I modified the configuration file to tell Postgres to use this network by specifying 10.211.55.0/24 in the configuration file (instead of the 192.168.x.0 network specified in the guide). Also, these modifications can be accomplished using the pgAdmin III tool, rather than editing the conf files directly.

The Mac host is at the address 10.211.55.2, so on the Windows VM, I configured PT database to connect to that IP address.

It works like a charm!

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 am
by Flag_Hippo
Pleased to hear it and thanks for the information.

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:09 am
by LastLaugh
I am running a Mac with Parallels and trying to get this set up.

Just to be clear, I need to edit the PostgreSQL configuration files on the the Windows side of things?

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 am
by Flag_Hippo
It's best to install PostgreSQL on the host operating system rather than the virtual machine so in that case you would be editing the PostgreSQL configuration files on Mac OSX.

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:35 pm
by LastLaugh
Aha, okay, thanks. The guide wasn't very clear on that.

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:23 pm
by micalux
Hi, i'm running windows on parallel with windows 10 installed on the bootcamp partition.
So i edited the 2 config files using this 10.211.55.0/24.

Now i go on PT on windows, i create a new database and instead of "localhost" i put this 10.211.55.2 but i always get an error message.
i'm kinda noob with this, i appreciate your help.

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:55 am
by Flag_Hippo
See our guide here. While we do not officially support this if you need further assistance send all relevant details to us in a Support Ticket

Re: Parallels and Non-Parallels

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:43 am
by joaoleao
dmacioce wrote:Thanks! This is awesome. I was able to get everything set up. The guide was helpful, but for future reference, I thought I would provide the following info in case anyone else tries to do this: Parallels uses the 10.211.55.x network, and so I modified the configuration file to tell Postgres to use this network by specifying 10.211.55.0/24 in the configuration file (instead of the 192.168.x.0 network specified in the guide). Also, these modifications can be accomplished using the pgAdmin III tool, rather than editing the conf files directly.

The Mac host is at the address 10.211.55.2, so on the Windows VM, I configured PT database to connect to that IP address.

It works like a charm!


Hi,

I'm trying to do the same that you describe following your instructions as well as the guide referred above.

The first thing I'd like to note is that you can get the exact IP addresses if, on the Windows VM side, you go to "View your network properties".
In my case the addresses are these:
DHCP servers: 10.211.55.1
IPv4 address: 10.211.55.3/24

The problem is that I don' really know how to configure PT4 on the Windows side. Assuming that the PostgreSQL configuration on the Mac side is correct, here is what I tried when PT4 (Windows) opens for the first time and prompts you to configure the database:

Database: The name of my previous database on the Mac Side (right?);
I also ticked the check-box "This database already exists";
Server: 10.211.55.1;
I left untouched all the other fields.

When I click on "Connect", it gives an error saying "Unable to connect (...) Connection refused (...) Is the server running on host 10.211.55.1 and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?".

Is there a way to check if the port is accepting connections? Do I have to make further Network configurations to make this work?

I submitted a ticket although I understand that this is not officially supported. I'll post here again in case of further developments.

Thanks for your help.