Slow popup loading

Let us know what features not currently in the PT4 should be added.

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Slow popup loading

Postby igafiga » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 am

Hello.
First, sorry for my English.
I have converted my PT3 HUD into PT4 about six months ago, but I still use PT3. It’s impossible to use PT4 with a lot of custom stats and a big database on any type of hardware due to very slow popup loading. Please don’t advise me to use built-in stats, for me it’s like advising to play fewer tables or to finish using mining. I can’t understand why popups logic of custom stats works in the most inefficient way. It’s not a code optimization problem, it’s problem of use cases considering. I think that it’s not too hard for developers to just load popups custom stats in the same time as HUD table panels, or make this optional. This looks like there is some secret reason why they don’t want to do that. There are enough posts on this theme and almost nothing has been done in this direction. Slow popups is not problem of comfortability, slow popups just cut functionality of your product, custom stats feature is now almost useless. May be not too many users experience mentioned problem, but I think a lot of them are faithful and advanced and sometimes they give advises on poker forums and to poker friends, it’s not in your interest to upset them. Please make an honest answer, is there any plans to make one of the next two changes at the nearest three months?
1) Calculate HUD's popup data during HUD table panel loading (not on demand behavior).
2) Cache custom stats.
Or slow popup loading is not prioritized problem and your team just decided to set aside this problem for the far, far future, which will never happen.
igafiga
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby kraada » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 am

Can you tell me more about the custom stats you are using in PT4? We added quite a lot of extra stats to PT4's built in set so that situations like yours wouldn't happen and it would help to know what stats you're using - if they can be replaced by identical built in stats that will result in massive improvements for you.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby igafiga » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:55 am

I have done a lot of stats for PT3 and may be some of them can be changed by built-in stats of PT4, but exactly not even a half of them. May be I need to do some revision and change my custom stats on built-in stats and this will speed up my popups in 2 times, but this will not solve my problem. If popups data loading for player with 150k hands will be reduced from 20 seconds to 10 seconds, PT4 will stay unusable for me.
Recently, I have made simple test function on the side of PT4 PostgreSQL database. Something like [return ‘fuck off’], there was not any query in it. Then I have made simple custom stat for this function, and have made simple popup with one this stat. For players with less than 20k hands speed of this popup was satisfying. But for players with more than 100k hands there was unpleasant delay not acceptable during the game. But what about 2,3…10 such functions. And why does this happen, stat should be shown at the same speed for players with any number of hands. Before this test I thought that new very fast pci-e SSD could help me, but now I don’t believe in it. So I have decided that changing some custom stats on built-in stats will not help me. Custom stats PT4 feature is unusable for players with big databases, for me that’s the fact.
If about new built-in stats, it’s difficult to describe all my unchangeable stats, and it’s no sense for me, because you will not make all stats I need. And as I tested, decent number of custom stats makes PT4 unusable. I just say that during a lot of experiments I found out that for some stats it’s important to know how many players was postflop, for some action it’s useful to know final hand result statistic and so on. For example, W$SD after player OOP float (river probe in your terminology). Built in stats will not cover wishes and styles of all players, it’s a road to nowhere, poker offers a lot winning ways, why not to keep this conception at poker software.
Recently, I have tried to show filtered note tracker notes in the popups. (I think, that the biggest disadvantage of NoteTracker, that makes it worse than NoteCaddy is the only one place to show notes, it’s impossible to gain experience of extracting usable information from the wall of text in the heat of the game). So the only one stat that uses only one database function that returns notes divided by “\n” increases popup loading time by tens of seconds, depending of player hand number. If I run this function from any PostgreSQL client, it spends less than 20ms for one player. It can say something about PT4 query optimization.
I chose PT3 due to its customization (stats, reports), but now I see, the only way to use own stats after end of the PT3 support is HM2+NoteCaddy. And please answer my question in the first post.
igafiga
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby igafiga » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 pm

I want to add, that it`s ok to wait for stats loading even a minute at the beginning of a table session, but it’s unacceptable to wait 2-3 seconds during making a play decision.
igafiga
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby PeteX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 pm

igafiga wrote:Recently, I have made simple test function on the side of PT4 PostgreSQL database. Something like [return ‘fuck off’], there was not any query in it. Then I have made simple custom stat for this function, and have made simple popup with one this stat.
How are you able to make this work? I mean, how do you make a custom stat that calls the function on the database I'm assuming that you have created a function with plpgsql and then call that from a PT4 custom stat, but how do you do that? I'm trying to do this and can't get PT to validate my stat, it just says that it's invalid SQL.

NVM: FIGURED IT OUT MYSELF.
PeteX
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:12 am

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby igafiga » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm

I mean, how do you make a custom stat that calls the function on the database

Just something like this (SELECT getNote(cash_hand_player_statistics.id_player, noteType))
igafiga
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby igafiga » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Hey guys. Why not to answer the only one my question in this topic (first message). Your reaction usually faster than 3 days. Answer, please.
igafiga
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby kraada » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:03 pm

I can't comment on future development plans I'm afraid. If you feel the data should return faster for you than it does, please restart PT4 using the logging enabled link on your Start Menu, reproduce this problem and then report it via our support system with the log file and we'll take a look for you.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby MartinBKK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:32 pm

I have this problem to the extent PT4 is unusable multi tabling. I am not talking about custom stats either, custom popups but with regular stats. Sometimes it is taking 20+ seconds for the stats to load in the popups. I have an i5 laptop with 8GB RAM and PT4 is using 20% or less CPU. I have disabled firewall and anti virus. I have also vacuumed my database which contains 4million hands. What could be the problem?
MartinBKK
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:26 am

Re: Slow popup loading

Postby WhiteRider » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:34 am

Built-in stats should be fast. Is the Hud using a single database? How big is the database?
Please open a Support Ticket to answer these questions and report your problem so that we can check your logs and see what is going on.
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK


Return to PT4 Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests