Page 1 of 2

Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2025 11:23 am
by CherryWaves
Hello, I currently have a HDD that is almost full so I experience performance issues. My postgres database is 150gb. If I move this to a 1tb Samsung ssd, would I get better performance?

Thanks

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2025 1:34 pm
by Flag_Hippo
Yes that would perform better since an SSD will be able to read & write data faster than an HDD. Also free space is required for temporary files and caching and having a full disk will hinder those processes.

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2026 12:53 pm
by CherryWaves
Hi,

kindly advise the steps to do it.

My database is 115gb, I want to move it to the other drive, and run postgres from there. What are the steps?

See image attached

Thanks

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2026 1:02 pm
by CherryWaves
I have read that in order to trasnfer the database, I need an equivalent of 115gb of free space on the current drive, which isn't really possible.

So if I uninstall Postgres on the current drive and reinstall it on the new drive, PokerTracker will now run and save data on the new drive. Is that correct?

A couple of questions


1. Is it possible to transfer, say, the most recent 20gb of hands to the new database on the new drive?

2. If in the future, can I still access the old drive database if I want to study my old hands?

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2026 6:42 am
by Flag_Hippo
CherryWaves wrote:My database is 115gb, I want to move it to the other drive, and run postgres from there. What are the steps?

Backup the existing database:

Guide: Backup & Restore

Uninstall PostgreSQL on C:\ and reinstall it on D:\

Guide: Installing PostgreSQL

and then restore the backed up database.
CherryWaves wrote:I have read that in order to trasnfer the database, I need an equivalent of 115gb of free space on the current drive, which isn't really possible.

To create the backup you will either need to free up the disk space needed on C:\ or configure Windows to use the free space on your D:\ drive for your %TEMP% files.
CherryWaves wrote:So if I uninstall Postgres on the current drive and reinstall it on the new drive, PokerTracker will now run and save data on the new drive. Is that correct?

If PostgreSQL is installed on the D:\ drive then that is where the data will be saved using the default install directory for the 'data' folder.
CherryWaves wrote:1. Is it possible to transfer, say, the most recent 20gb of hands to the new database on the new drive?

You can only backup & restore databases in their entirety. If you want a smaller database you can import your most recent hands into a new database on the new drive. You can re-import hands from your 'Processed' folder and/or export hands from the original database:

Guide: Processed Files

Guide: Exporting Hands

Note that re-importing will not transfer things like manual player/hand notes or player/hand tags. You can export/import player/hand notes via 'Database -> Notes' but player/hand tags can only be transferred via backup/restore.
CherryWaves wrote:2. If in the future, can I still access the old drive database if I want to study my old hands?

If you want to access that data in the future (without transferring to D:\) then you can just leave it where it is. You can install a separate instance of PostgreSQL on D:\, keep PostgreSQL installed on C:\ as well and connect to either with PokerTracker 4 whenever you want. For example if you have PostgreSQL v12 installed on C:\ using port 5432 then you can install PostgreSQL v16 on D:\ using port 5433.

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2026 9:44 am
by CherryWaves
Hi, thanks for reply.

I am looking to back up. As I cant make that much space on my C drive, I want to change windows settings. See screenshot below. Do I need to change the system variables or just the environment variables? There is the Temp file set as D:\ in environment variables but set as C:\ in system variables.

Thanks

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2026 9:48 am
by CherryWaves
This is the current file/directory written. If ai am supposed to change this, what do I type here instead?

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2026 6:38 am
by Flag_Hippo
Set both TMP and TEMP variables to a directory on your D:\ path (e.g., D:\Temp - do not set the variables to the root of D:\), restart your computer and then you should be able to proceed with the backup. You'll need to create the D:\Temp folder (or whatever you choose) if it doesn't already exist.

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2026 9:49 am
by CherryWaves
Hello, I have completed the steps above. Now I have moved the database and Postgres I want to my D drive.

However I have an issue where my HUD stops working mid-session and doesnt display.. When I end my session and click 'Stop getting hands', PT4 tells me its found several hand histories and I do the auto import.

It also tells me that I should do Database Housekeeping which I have already done with the new database 2 days ago.

What should I do to resolve this?

Thank you

Re: Performance low space HDD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2026 1:54 pm
by Flag_Hippo
If you would like a technician to look at the trouble with your database you can attach your support bundle to a Support Ticket along with a link to this thread:

Tutorial: Reporting A Problem

That database possibly hasn't been maintained efficiently for awhile now due to the low disk space on the original drive and if the PostgreSQL version was older that could also be problematic. You also have the option to create a new database on the new drive and import what you need there. You can export from the original database before importing into the new one.