Stats comparison for tournaments

Forum for users that want to write their own custom queries against the PT database either via the Structured Query Language (SQL) or using the PT3 custom stats/reports interface.

Moderator: Moderators

Stats comparison for tournaments

Postby BoiledFrog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:43 am

I want to compare stats on tournaments. I just want to look at simple things like VPIP and PFR and compare this against the number of hands played. More hands played should indicate a better tournament. Can you do this inside PT3? Or do I have to write a custom query in Postgres?
BoiledFrog
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am

Re: Stats comparison for tournaments

Postby kraada » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am

There are three ways I could see to do this in PT3:

(1) Sort the Tournaments tab by Hours - this gets you a list of tournaments ordered by length. Double click one (or several) of them to filter to the clicked tournament(s) - then go to the General tab. You can see your VPIP in the filtered tournament(s) there. Filter to a different set of tournaments and compare.

(2) Create a custom report using a custom SQL query to filter down to tournaments with certain ranges of hands. This is going to be more complicated, obviously.

(3) Create a custom column in the Holdem Tournament Player Statistics section which contains just the value: holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_tournament and has the group by box ticked. Use that in a custom stat. Add this to a custom report in the Player Statistics section and you'll see TPS section stats grouped by tournament - then you can add the Hands stat and VPIP and PFR and sort by clicking column headers.

I think (3) is probably the best approach for what it sounds like you might want to do - but I listed (1) and (2) in case either of those appealed to you more.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Stats comparison for tournaments

Postby BoiledFrog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I created a new column, tourney_id, using "Configure Stats". It's configured to be "tourney_holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_tourney". I can see it at the bottom of the "Configure Statistics" dialog but I can't see it in the "Holdem Tournament Player Statistics" report under "All Stats".

What am I missing?
BoiledFrog
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am

Re: Stats comparison for tournaments

Postby kraada » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Once you have the column created you need to build a stat using it. Create a stat in that section whose value expression is just that value - it's going to display the id number for the tourney that it's using to group by - so create an appropriate title and width. Then once you've got the stat built, that's what you'll see (and use) in your report.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Stats comparison for tournaments

Postby BoiledFrog » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:40 pm

OK, that seems to work. However the stat doesn't display in the report. I also added a stat, tourney_no, to use the site-specific tournament ID as well. Neither display. I want to be able to drill down into the individual tournaments and it's difficult without some sort of tournament identifier.
BoiledFrog
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am

Re: Stats comparison for tournaments

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:04 am

Did you fill in the Format tab of your new stats? If there is no Title and Width the report doesn't know how to display the stats.

Tutorial: Custom Reports and Statistics
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Stats comparison for tournaments

Postby BoiledFrog » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:59 pm

Yeah, that was the problem. Thanks.

Incidentally, what units is the width in? Apparently it's not characters. I had to use a width of 70 for a 10 character field. Is it pixels?
BoiledFrog
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am

Re: Stats comparison for tournaments

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:59 am

I believe it is pixels, yes, although it could be related "points" that font sizes are defined in.
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK


Return to Custom Stats, Reports, and SQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests