Page 1 of 1

Upgrading to Postgresql 9.0 without losing data

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:52 am
by zorglubpok
Hi all,

I have a working PT4 + postgresql 8.3 installation on a Windows 7 64 bits. PT 4 data is located on a separate drive and everything works fine.
I have read that Postgresql 9.0 64bits would give me much better performance. So I'm considering upgrading from Postgresql 8.3 to Postgresql 9.0.
I know I have to first uninstall Postgresql 8.3 and then instyall version 9.0.

I have some questions:

- in the uninstall process (http://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/databases/how-to-uninstallreinstall-postgresql-83-windows), do I have to delete the postgresql account or can I keep it because I will need it after ?
- after the install process of Postgresql 9.0, can I use the PT4 data stored in the tablespace I have created before (with version 8.3 of Postgresql), or do I have to repeat the whole process of creating a tablespace on a separate drive and then importing my hands ?

Tx for answering my questions !

Re: Upgrading to Postgresql 9.0 without losing data

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:30 am
by kraada
Before doing anything back up your database using our File -> Backup mechanism. You'll want to restore it into the new version of PostgreSQL anyway (it's much, much faster than reimporting) and this way if anything goes wrong you have all of your data.

You can keep the postgres Windows account just you will need to use the existing password when installing 9.0.

If you want PostgreSQL located on a specific drive the easiest way to go is to install it there during the installation process; then you don't need to bother with a tablespace. It just makes life a little easier :)

Re: Upgrading to Postgresql 9.0 without losing data

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:44 am
by zorglubpok
But in the instructions on installing Postgresql 9.0 https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/databases/how-to-uninstallmanually-install-postgresql-90-windows, it is written (p.7), "If this is a new PostgreSQL installation, you will be prompted to select the data directory. Click Next > to continue (DO NOT change this directory location. It will be a sub-directory of the installation directory that you selected in the previous step)." :oops:

So what ?

Re: Upgrading to Postgresql 9.0 without losing data

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:25 am
by kraada
You can safely change the installation directory using the 9.0 one click installer; I will look into having that documentation updated.