Page 1 of 1

Connection to server problem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:26 pm
by okkk
Hi,

I think I know what the error is. However, I don't know how to fix it. I came across a tutorial that told me to do the following.

Step # 2: Allow communication over TCP/IP

You need to open PostgreSQL configuration file /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
$ vi /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf

Now bind and open TCP/IP port by setting tcpip_socket to true:
tcpip_socket = true

Save and close the file.

I don't know what bind means. Do I just add the line tcpip_socket = true to the postgresql.conf file? I can't find the word tcpip_socket anywhere in the file.

EDIT: never mind. I just read that the above tutorial apply only to earlier versions of postgresql. It seems I have to edit postgresql.conf and try setting listen_addresses = * ... I did this and restarted the computer but it didn't work.

EDIT2: also, I can connect to the server just fine if I install PT3 and postgresql and use it right away. However, I cannot connect to the server once I restarted my computer.

Re: Connection to server problem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:08 am
by APerfect10
Bind means that the server only listens on the address and port that you specify. You are binding it to this address and port.

What version of Windows are you using? XP Home?

Please send me the last two or three PostgreSQL log files via the Support system so that I can look into the issue. Your PostgreSQL log files are located in your main PostgreSQL directory /<version>/data/pg_log.

I assume that you are aware of once your computer is started that you can go Start->Programs->PostgreSQL->Stop Service then Start->Programs->PostgreSQL->Start Service to get it running? This is at least a work around until we are able to get the issue resolved.

Best regards,

Derek