Page 1 of 2
'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:56 pm
by dj11
With PT3b2, and still with b3 I get an Old Database error when starting PT3 fresh off my desktop.
I have already hashed this out with Derek, but offer this to some of the others who might not find a quick easy fix.
When my PC cold boots, it loads postgreSQL but it may not be starting it. I am not versed enough to be sure one way or another.
When I invoke PT3, and get the 'Old Database error, I do this;
Start -> Programs -> PostgreSQL 8.2 -> Start Service.
A small DOS window appears, telling me the service is starting, then it goes away, and my PT3 is working.
Even if I hit OK, at the first 'Old Database' error, and PT3 come up, and it tells me there is a database error, I can do that simple fast procedure and then start importing and it has found the database.
This suggests to me that there might be the simple issue of the postgreSQL loading at boot, but never properly starting.
Try this and post results for both this error, and other database errors. This might be a really easy fix.
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:52 pm
by midas
Check in SERVICES that it's set to AUTOMATIC. If the service is set to MANUAL it will require the step you're doing. If it's set to AUTOMATIC then you should look at your event logs after a restart to see if there are any errors when the service tries to start.
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:06 pm
by dj11
Where/how do I find these Services?
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:57 pm
by Franix
[quote="dj11"mfh]Where/how do I find these Services?[/quotemfh]
Click the start button, then Run. (don't actually run, click run)
Type in "msconfig"
System Configuration Utility will appear.
Go to the Services tab.
Find SQL in the services list and put a check in the check box.
Click Apply, then OK.
You'll be prompted to restart.
Then it should start on boot.
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:02 pm
by midas
The other way to get to it is through ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS/SERVICES or, if you don't have that, right-click MY COMPUTER and choose MANAGE. You'll see SERVICES listed there.
And to further clarify, you're actually looking for the POSTGRESQL service.
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:02 pm
by dj11
Thanks, but using the 'My Computer' right click method above shows postgreSQL is running and is automatic.
Using the 'Run' msconfig method shows the postgreSQL as running also.
I made no changes. I got the 'Old DataBase error, and then once I click ok and PT3 come up, I get the 'Unable to access database' error.
I did my workaround START -> Programs -> postgreSQL 8.2 -> Stop services, then again to start services and then back in PT# started auto-import, and it looks good.
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:06 pm
by dj11
I'm still having to do this, but got to thinking.
When the Jan 31 build came, I only downloaded the PT3 part, without postgreSQL. Thinking was I had it, didn't need to do it again.
But was there perhaps a change that solved my problem in that Jan 31 build? I'm hoping the next build will solve this problem else I may have to seek more professional help.
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:21 pm
by APerfect10
No, you do not need to reinstall PostgreSQL after you do it once. You [iwxw]should[/iwxw] create a new database though.
If you are still having problems with B4 after creating a new database, contact me via the [url=http://www.pokertracker3.com/support/index.php?cat_id=3wxw]Support System[/urlwxw] and I will setup a remote assistance session with you.
Best regards,
Derek
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:02 pm
by jausmus
ok so i started a new database each time there is a new beta out. But now can you tell me how to get the data from my old databases to my new one? I'm thinking of the purge option but don't know where the data gets purged to. Or do I just import from the processed files?(that sounds dangerous) Thanks
Re: 'Old Database' error-easy workaround

Posted:
Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:27 pm
by dj11
Try importing from the processed folder.